Thursday, August 19, 2010

Dream On

This entire week has been the "unofficial" start to the Dream Cruise, a 16 year tradition that defines everything "motor city". Starting Monday evening people, armed with folding chairs, began to line Woodward Avenue to look at the spectacle of cars cruisin' the M-1. Beginning from modest roots, the Cruise is a tribute to the days of drive-ins, Motown and obviously the cars that made Detroit, well, Detroit.  For years I have listened to my Dad talk about the days of Ted's drive-in and imagine all the kids hanging out in letter sweaters and saddle shoes munching on burgers while listening to the beats of the Temptations.

For many locals the Cruise can mean one of two things: 1. Hop in your hot rod and relive the glory years, or 2. Get the heck outta town. I have never been one to fully participate in the cruise, except for the years of 2000-2002 when my friends and I sold good humor bars and cotton candy in Birmingham's Shain Park. Now, those were the days! This year, however, I was feeling kind of revved up seeing all the cars and enthusiasts line the street. I began to realize, it is re energizing to see people bonding and coming together over a common interest. Armed with my camera and my hot rod lovin' friend, Jenny, I hit the streets tonight to soak in some of the excitement. We didn't get very far, but I was suprised to find that the energy was contagious. I think, with an oreo flurry in hand, I could have stayed out there all night.  There were some amazinnngg cars.  Since many of them were crusin' it was hard to snap pictures, but I did manage to capture some shots of the parked cars on display. Hands down my favorite car was an old woody wagon with authentic vintage surf boards and luggage strapped to the top. Legit! A close second was a pink Cadillac, dune buggy, Model T and of course a "Ghost Buster" mobile. Jenny, on the other hand, was attracted to everything that defined muscle. The more "badass" cars of the '60s, if you will. She was into the racing stripes and fuzzy dice. 

I was left with a great feeling. A greater hometown pride. We are people who make things and do things. While our future may not be as rooted in the automobile, I have no doubt that we will be able to carry on the passion for what we do, who we are and where we come from. It may not be glitzy, but this is America.


 Photos: Anne Strickland

No comments:

Post a Comment